Sunday 27 October 2013

Big Hair Don't Care


Hi Folks, 

This is a bit of a last minute and different post to my usual. It is to follow up from a picture I posted on my Instagram which I received lots of positive comments asking about my hair. 

I have naturally really fine and flat hair. I try to avoid backcombing as I fear it will further damage and thin my hair. I have to admit it has taken me a really long time to come up with the perfect formula on how to get some bounce and volume so I will share a few tips and key products with all of you out there wanting to get that big hair effortless look.  


Key Products and Tools






In order to achieve volume without back combing I have tried and tested many products and different brushes and hair tools. These are my top tools and products which I use to achieve volume. 

Babyliss Big Hair: £35-£60 

This is my top hot tool for achieving volume and as great an investment as my GHD’s. The Babyliss Big hair is a rotating hot brush which gives an effortless blowdry look. I believe the price has recently increased, I struck lucky and got it for £35 in Currys (on offer) so you may want to shop around online to find it at a good price. I have added the amazon link above so you know what you are looking for. 




Head Jog Ionic 80 Ceramic Blowdry Brush - £4.95

I have used many round barrel blowdry brushes, and this is my favourite. Head Jog do a number of different sized brushes. I bought the 80, but this is solely because it was the largest I could find at the suppliers. This gives a really sleek and volumised finish when paired with my Babyliss pro hair dryer which I set on the hottest setting to achieve the best result. Although any hairdryer will create the same effect this is my favourite as the varied settings give a really good finish. 




Tigi Catwalk Root Boost- £11.95






This is my favourite product to add some volume to my hair. The smallest amount really gives your style some oomph and its also handy as a hair mousse when your having a lazy day and don’t have much time to style your natural hair. it tames waves and curls so your 5 minutes of hair styling before work looks like a 50 minute job. Unfortunately the version I usually use has now been discontinued but I have put a link to the new "Your Highness" version which is just as good above.



What are your favourite volumising tools and products? 


Step by Step: 


The Final Result

  1. Wash and condition hair as normal.
  2. Towel dry and add a form of heat protection as a number of hot tools will be used to create this style. I don’t use a specific heat protector but at the moment my favourite is the Lee Stafford range as the products promote healthy hair growth. 
  3. Rough dry hair so its 70% dry (it should not be dripping but still slightly damp to touch). 
  4. Apply a palm sized amount of Tigi Catwalk into the roots of hair. 
  5. Section hair and use the Babyliss Big hair on the lowest setting to style in the desired way (rotate inwards to flick hair towards face, rotate outwards to flick away from the face). The reason for keeping to the the lowest is so it can be followed up with use of a hairdryer, the lowest setting will style but not set the hair . I personally like to curl all my sections in slightly and flick out the front sections. 
  6. Go Over the hair one final time with Head Jog blow dry brush and hair dryer. Concentrate the hairdryer for a few seconds at the root with the brush rolled under the hair and follow down from root to tip. 
  7. Use a finishing product at your discretion if you feel it needs it. My hair is usually smooth and bouncy following the hair drying stage so I don’t add anything. 


Some might find it slightly odd the order I work in, but after trial and error I find this is what has worked best. It is a time consuming process sometimes, but after practice it can be done within 20 minutes and saves the use of excessive backcombing and straightening. This is perfect for winter, and the next day your hair should remain just as bouncy. Some practice might be needed to get the use of the Babyliss Big Hair rotations right, but once you get the knack its very easy to use. 

I may follow up with a youtube tutorial soon, still playing with the idea. For now good luck, give it a go and post any questions or results you might have for others to see. 

K xx 
Please feel free to post any skin care tips, products or comments you may have which could benefit others. 




No comments:

Post a Comment