Saturday 28 September 2013

Beauty on a Budget


One common perception many of us make is the idea that make up has to be expensive to be worth buying. Wrong. For the past few weeks I have been exploring beauty kit items which have cost me less than £10 each. I have chosen my top 5; including products which already exist in my daily routine, and a few newbies which I have added to my collection.





Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain


This is one of the products I came across from my hand swatch tests I tend to do in Boots. I tried this on my hand at lunch time and throughout the whole day (including a gross sweaty workout) the colour was still on my hand. It tingles slightly on your lips, but the colour is rich and the softening balm keeps lips nice and soft. I would state this is as good, if not better than some lip tints I have tried of luxury brands as it doesn't dry out the lips and the colour comes out just as vibrant as it seems in the packaging. I chose the colour "Lovesick" after searching high and low for a deep fuscia pink which I felt suited me. 


 Price: £7.99 from Boots or Superdrug











L'Oreal Super Liner Gel Intenza


My favourite basic, everyday product by far. I purchased my first pot of gel eyeliner about 6 months ago, and it is STILL going strong. I wear eyeliner on a daily basis, and to know how long this has lasted me makes me realise it was worth every penny. I have tried other gel eye liners, such as Rimmel, Barry M and Maybelline, but this was my ultimate favourite. It does not smudge even after a long day at work, and the brush it comes with is perfect for both thin and bold application. This is definitely an essential buy.  

Price: £9.99 from Boots, Superdrug or online













NYX HD Eyeshadow Base Primer
I bought this shadow primer from the Professional Beauty Exhibition last week, and I have to say I was skeptical but for £5 I thought why not? I am so glad I got this. I am constantly frustrated by the eyeshadow crease problem. There is nothing worse than spending a lot of time creating and blending the perfect eye make-up look, only for it to be ruined an hour later. This will definitely be incorporated into my eyeshadow routine more often. The formula is lightweight, and effortless. A great base for any eyeshadow. 


Price: £6.50 from the nyx website , although I paid slightly less at the beauty expo, it's still worth the full amount. 





Rimmel London Scandaleyes Shadow Stick

This is another product which survived my hand swatch test and stayed on my skin with vibrant colour after a whole day. I decided to go for a purple tone, as I think it works well with everyday and creative looks. I have used the eye shadow stick both by itself on the crease of the eye, and as an eyeliner at the bottom of lids to make an everyday eye make up look pop with colour. The shadow is easy to blend with the use of a good brush, I was pleased with the result and largely impressed with the staying power. 



Price: £4.99 at Boots or Superdrug







E45 Moisturising Lotion
I am aware its not make up, or in fact a real face moisturiser, yet it is somehow one of my favourite products that I cant live without. As mentioned in previous blogs I find it hard to be happy with a moisturiser, especially after spending much money hunting for one that suits my skin. I have decided until I ever come across the “perfect” moisturiser this will remain my go-to cream. Its cheap and cheerful and never lets me down, the perfect base for all my make up. E45 keeps my skin hydrated and feeling smooth whatever the condition it is in. 

Price: £5.50 for 500ml at Boots







As mentioned above most of these products are easy to buy on the high street or online, looking out for the Boots 3 for 2 can also be very useful at times. Although I still love my MAC, Bobbi Brown and Dior these products can be expensive to maintain and at times a cheaper alternative works to an advantage. 



Do make up products have to be expensive to be effective? 

Please feel free to post any skin care tips, products or comments you may have which could benefit others. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm a HUGE fan of the L'oreal gel eyeliner and the Revlon balm stain - both are great!

    Love Zoe x
    www.facevaluebeautyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, I have recently tried the sleek one too which is pretty good but still doesn't measure up. I want the revlon lip stain in every colour x

      Delete