Sunday 5 May 2013

Is The Beauty Industry Too Crowded?





Hi All, 

I have had a busy few weeks, and it has given me a lot of time to think about the beauty industry.  I will today be writing about my latest adventure, my first step into becoming a hair and make up professional; after taking a course with Mink make up school in London. I took a 5 day intensive course, focusing on becoming  a bridal hair and make up artist; as this is where I feel my future interest lies. 

I learnt a lot about the reality of the job, as well as much theoretical knowledge which I had not gained before. In a practical aspect I felt my largest accomplishment was the ability to practise on different skin tones/types and mastering blending, highlighting and contouring techniques. There is plenty you can teach yourself about make up, but the industry is one thing you can only prepare yourself for through experience. 

Make up above done by myself
during training at Mink London.
Through the duration of my course I had two amazing teachers, with much experience and knowledge within their particular fields. Both had a very different teaching style, however I feel I have taken back valuable tips and knowledge from each of them. My class consisted of 8 other females who have as much enthusiasm and motivation as myself to make a career of themselves in hair and beauty. i am happy to say as well as networking, I also gained friends  who I will stay in touch with in future.

Although beauty is an industry sector I have always loved, I do have a regular 9-5 day job which I aim to continue. For me make up has always been fun, and its something I wanted to develop further from being a hobby. 

With beauty being a fast growing industry, there is a high level of competition. Even coming from such a small village there are 4 hair salons and and 3 beauty salons. On my Facebook alone I have 7 make up artists/enthusiasts who are trying to break into the industry. 

Knowing the high level of competition makes it difficult, but I have come to terms with the fact that I am in this for my own level of enjoyment and progression. For me hair and make up is about making the most of somebody’s existing features and highlighting each their beauty for any special occasion. It is important to take pride in each client individually, and focus on what will work best for the individual in front of you. The most important part is to make clients feel comfortable, and not force your own ideas or opinions onto them. 

I have come to the realisation that this is not a cheap hobby. For me being a hair and make up artist is less about the income, and more about furthering my interest.  Starting up a kit, and your own business requires much dedication, time and also money. To keep up with competition and please clients certain branded items might be necessary. Although I have discovered a range of good quality and cheaper brands, clients may never have heard of these and will want recognised brands and products to be used on them. 

This is just my first step, but I hope its the beginning of a successful journey. I shall be keeping you all up to date with my progress, and the products I will be adding to my professional kit. 

I would love to know the opinions of my readers :


Is the beauty industry overcrowded? 


Please feel free to post any skin care tips, products or comments you may have which could benefit others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment