Sunday 24 January 2016

Brows on Fleek

Hey Guys, 

Many of you may have heard of the brand Anastasia Beverly Hills (ABH) through various social media means. The brand was not well known a few years ago but has now become a best selling sensation for both the ordinary girl and make up gurus. 

As the name suggest ABH was founded in the US, but has become a worldwide sensation. The only problem is there are very few places in the UK where you can buy it. I often find myself asking (or begging- which ever suits) family and friends who are travelling to America to bring me back a few ABH bits. Last year I went to New York and couldn’t believe how difficult it was to track down some of the best selling items! 

This year however I took full advantage of the ABH Black Friday sale, even though I had to pay the hefty delivery charge, and import fees it still worked out way cheaper than in the UK, so was it worth it? 

Today I want to cover my thoughts on some of the products. This is especially for the UK folk who may not be able to readily find the brand, and want to know whether it is worth adding to your make up and brow routines. 

Below are the products I ordered, over the next few weeks I will post reviews and swatches on each, so keep a look out!

  • Lustrous lipgloss set
  • Liquid lipstick in 'Catnip'
  • Brow wiz in 'Ebony'
  • Dipbrow in 'Ebony'
  • Brow definer in 'Ebony'
  • Brow powder pro palette
  • Illuminator in 'So Hollywood '
  • Number 7 duo brow brush 
  • Number 23 highlighter brush
 Today I will give a low down on all of the brow products. 

The brow products are what ABH have been known for, Anastasia is the brow queen and after trying most of the ABH brow products I fully understand how she has gained such a glowing reputation in the cosmetics industry. A good brow products are truly at the heart of getting the celebrity look. 

Dipbrow Pomade

The dipbrow is a gel texture and comes in a small pot, similar to gel liners. This is one product that I must caution all readers with - less is more!

I have found the best way to apply the dip brow is using an angled brush, I have also invested in the ABH number 4 duo ended brush, but any angled brush will work well.  You only need the smallest amount on the brush and then wipe it back off into the pot. 

Yes ...I have basically told you to put the product back into the pot, once you use this you

will understand why! The product is so strong that just the excess which remains on the brush is the perfect amount to use.

I use the flat part of the angled brush to outline my desired shape and create a stencil onto my brow line, and lightly using stroking motions fill in the rest of my brows. I then brush through using the other side of the number 7 brush. 

Dipbrow is is quite a heavy, long wearing product so I tend to only use it if I am going out or doing a heavy make up look. 

Brow Wiz

Brow wiz has to be one of my absolute favourite products, before the launch of the brow definer this was my daily go to brow product, which I did not live a day without for over a year. 

The pencil is retractable and looks of a waxy texture, rather than a true pencil texture.It really mimics the shading of hair for a natural look, it can be used alone on a day to day basis or in conjunction with the dip brow for a more defined look. 

Brow Definer


This is the newest in the range of brow products, and I bought it straight away to test. This has be the best brow “pencil’ I have used. It has a slanted, thicker nib than the brow wiz and a softer formula in the led which allows the most natural definition to be added to brows. 

The shape of the pencil allows you to create an effortless shape in your brows, and just like the brow wiz it can be built up by applying a different amount of pressure whilst using it. 

Personally for me, this product is the one which gives the most natural finish. 

Brow Powder

I invested in the brow powder palette to use on my clients, it has every shade and is a god send for any make up artist. The powders can also be purchased individually, so I would recommend going for your shade match if you are purchasing for yourself. 

The brow powders give a really soft and natural look and work amazingly well with an angled brush, they can be built up for most intensity which is what I love most about them. The shades don’t look flaky or harsh and blend well unlike other brow powders I have tested in the past. 

All of the products are very different dependent on what kind of look you are going for so I have done an overview below so you can decide which may be best for you. 

Product
Best used for
Pros
Cons
Dip brow Pomade Sparse brows, looking to intensify 
A more defined look
Use with brow powder to add more of a natural look
A little goes a long way 
Great value for money
Long wearing
Waterproof
Smudge proof
Creates a professional finish
Can dry out, as the pot lasts so long (however can be mixed with a drop of oil or water and mixed to recreate the consistency)
Can be difficult to get the consistency right on first few uses

Brow Wiz Full or sparse brows, creates a natural look Long wearing
Natural results
Great for a daily look
Can easily be built up
Built in brow brush on other side
Doesn’t last as long as the dip brow or powder 
Difficult to tell when running out until you get to the end turning of the rotating pencil

Brow Definer Full or sparse brows, creates a natural look Long wearing
Natural results
Great for a daily look
Can be intensified as preferred 
Built in brow brush on other side
User friendly for even first time users
Shape of the definer makes using this quick and easy
Doesn’t last as long as the dip brow or powder 
Not at the end of the definer yet to comment on how long the product will last
Brow Powder Sparse brows (in conjunction with Dip brow)
Readily full brows to add a defined shape
Very natural
Can be built up for definition
Good base in conjunction with other products
Good value for money as a lot of product in the pan
Not as long wearing as the rest of the brow products




My overall conclusion is that any of these products are totally worth investing in. All of the products are within the same price range of £14-£17, which for the quality is significantly lower than a lot of other brow products on the market.

If you are a brow girl |(who isn’t) then I highly recommend using any of the ABH range, you will not regret your decision. Ever since I have tried them, I have been hooked and I now can’t even think of using  anything else on myself or my clients. I use the following websites to order in the UK:

Do you have a cult brow product? 


No comments:

Post a Comment