Sunday 12 July 2015

♯dontjudgechallenge

Hey Guys, 

Today's post is for the guys and the girls and I want some interaction and thoughts about this as it's about something that has taken the social media by storm. For those of you who don't know what The "don't judge challenge" is it was originally intended for individuals to share their insecurities on social media whether it be showing what they look like without make up or parts of themselves they clarify as a 'flaw.' 

This is a topic area which is really close to me, if you have read my first ever post you will know I have never been fully confident about my own looks for various reasons, one of those being bullied from a young age. This is something I have slowly overcome with my age, and realised that everyone has insecurities. Make up has helped me grow my confidence and I am not ashamed to admit that I feel more confident when I am made up. Recently I have gained more confidence wearing less make up, and even not wearing any during certain occasions. 

The Don't Judge Challenge, just like any other social media craze, eventually turned into something nasty. People drawing  fake freckles and monobrows and then revealing themselves with a full face of make up shortly after. This to me is quite the opposite of don't judge, as they contrast going from 'ugly' to what they classify as 'beautiful.' 

Left: No make up (just good lighting)
Right: Give me confidence 
We see beauty in different ways in the media, the growth of 'plus size' models (some of whom are actually smaller than the average UK woman) as well as seeing more multi cultural models across media and in fashion. However, it seems no matter how much we argue that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes those sad people who will pick up on others insecurities and use it as a social media craze still exist. 

As a response to this challenge, Jan Bonito (who some of you will know as the guy who recreates himself using make up to morph into various celebrities) posted a video using ♯goodenoughchallenge showing himself removing all make up and that everyone has their own beauty. Blogger My Pale Skin also created an eye opening video showing all of the comments she received when she revealed herself without make-up, the video is titled 'You Look Disgusting'. If you have not seen this video yet (I posted it on my Facebook page this week) take five minutes of your time to watch it here  I promise you it is an eye opener to those who think beauty bloggers in particular are perfect, and don't have their own insecurities. 

On a day to day basis I see so many hurtful comments to bloggers and celebrity pages, particularly when they have chosen to share a part of themselves which may not have been easy for them to do. In the past I also worried about posting particular pictures, or even creating a youtube video as I felt it would bring back the same criticism as I received in the past years, however it is something I am now strongly considering as tutorials are something I regularly get asked about. 

What are your thoughts on the Don't Judge Challenge?


No comments:

Post a Comment